If your dream has always been to own a business, then starting a mini importation business will be highly rewarding due to the high Profit potential, but you may not know how that’s why in this article, you will learn how to start your own mini importation business in 7 steps.
What is Mini Importation
Mini importation is an ecommerce business model that involves importing goods from overseas and selling them in Nigeria, It is a great way to start a business without raising too much capital and this is because you can import small quantities of goods and sell them at a profit.
How Does Mini Importation Work
As opposed to engaging large scale importation, with mini importation you only import items in small quantities which is likely to be cheaper and faster.
You can take advantage of wholesale prices which will allow you to set competitive retail prices while still enjoying good profit margins.
The number 1 country for Mini Importation Business owners in Nigeria is China and this is because of the cheap commodities manufactured at their factories due to cheap labor other countries include Turkey, India Vietnam etc.
Reasons To Start Mini Importation Business
- Low Startup Costs: It is easy to start due to minimal initial investment, making it ideal for aspiring entrepreneurs with little capital.
- High Profit Margins: You can purchase products directly from manufacturers or suppliers at wholesale prices, ensuring you sell at higher profit margins locally.
- Flexible Work Schedule: You can set your own work hours, since you’re now independent ensuring a better work-life balance.
- Diverse Product Range: With access to the international market, you’re able to offer a wide range of unique and niche products that may not be found locally, selling to a broader customer base.
- Scalability: You can grow or scale your business by increasing your product offering, marketing efforts and reach new customer segments, unlocking further potential for growth.
Related Article: How to start Dropshipping in Nigeria with Zero Capital
7 Steps To Start Mini Importation Business
Here is a step by step guide to starting a mini importation business in Nigeria:
- Products Research: Conduct a market research to discover in-demand and inexpensive products with good profit potential. The products you’re trying to import should not be readily available in order to stand out of the competition.
- Source For Reliable Agents: These are professionals with adequate knowledge of business environment in the country you want to import from, they will guide/advise you, source for the products from manufacturers or wholesalers and eventually help you to purchase.
- Ship to Nigeria: In partnership with a reputable agent, you will be able to ship your items immediately down to Nigeria and how fast your goods will arrive depends on the shipping method.
- Create an Online Store: Building an eCommerce website remains one of the best strategies to promote and sell your products, if you can’t design your own eCommerce website you should hire a professional Web design agency to help you out
- Add Products to your Online Store: Once you’ve successfully designed an online store, now is the time upload your products, include images, videos, payment gateway like paystack or Flutterwave, prices and products details.
- Market your products: Leverage on a variety of proven marketing strategies to ensure you promote your products to people who are most likely to buy from you including, SEO, social media and video marketing, email and Influencer marketing, paid advertising and much more.
- Deliver to your Customers: Build a network of reputable logistics companies and delivery agents who will always be available to package the orders and send to your customer.
Mini Importation from China to Nigeria
In China you will have access to manufacturers who are wiling to sell their products to you at insanely cheap wholesale prices and this will allow you to retail in Nigeria at competitive prices with high Profit Margins
When you’ve the required experience, you can go into bulk importation and become a distributor to smaller retailers
But if you’re a total newbie, you should start by working with an agent who will handle products sourcing, negotiation, packaging and shipping to Nigeria
These agents are mostly based in China with offices in Nigeria, this makes it easy to work with them and have peace of mind since they will be in charge of the whole process
They are many verified agents who are into mini importation, I won’t mention any of them in this article, simply do a research on Google to find out
Frequently Asked Questions
It is highly profitable, you can start with as little as N50,000 and earn six figures monthly
Its not complex and we’ve captured everything you need to know in this article
There’s no fixed amount, but you can start with as little as N50,000
Read this blog post to discover hot ecom products you can import and sell in Nigeria
Mini importation is a popular eCommerce business model in Nigeria and this is because of its low Startup capital, high Profit potential and low risk, that’s why young people have taken advantage of it to build sustainable businesses and achieve financial freedom.
You can be part of this success story only if you’re willing to take action right now, you can bookmark this article and come back to it later.