Blogging has become a popular way for people to make money in Nigeria, It is about sharing knowledge, ideas and information about certain topic in order to educate people online. Blogging is a low cost and profitable business idea and this is why total beginners and experienced internet marketers are attracted to it, starting a blog in Nigeria can be highly rewarding especially if you follow proven and time-tested strategies.
Blogging can become an important source of income for you and it can be done either full time or part-time working from home.
If you are interested in starting your own successful blog in Nigeria, then you should read this post till the end in order to discover strategies and the right information that will help you succeed as a blogger in Nigeria.
What is Blogging?
Blogging is to create and publish regular content on a website which can be written content inform of articles or posts or videos.
With blogging, you have the opportunity to share your thought, opinions and information on a particular subject and educate people online. The people that read your blog are your audience, they have found your content to be valuable and this is because it solves their problems. To start your own blog you will need to select a niche and build a website, don’t worry, we will talk about this in more detail soon
Here are few benefits of Blogging:
- It gives you an opportunity to share your ideas on a given topic and educate those that are interested, this can be self fulfilling.
- It Helps you establish credibility and build authority in your niche
- It can be a source of passive income
- It improves your writing skills and boost your creativity
- It increases your online visibility and improves your website SEO
Is Blogging profitable in Nigeria?
Yes, blogging remains a profitable online business model in Nigeria. Just like other businesses, to be successful doing blogging in Nigeria, you must be put in the work, time and dedication required and also be patient. There are many successful bloggers in Nigeria who earn a comfortable living from their blogs, this can be a source of motivation for you.
Cost to setup a blog in Nigeria
The cost to setup a blog depends on the blogger’s needs and associated expenses, the cost is usually low when starting but will likely increase subsequently.
Here is the estimated cost of starting a blog in Nigeria:
- Domain Registration and Web Hosting: To get a domain name and web hosting, you will likely spend between ₦25,000 – ₦30,000
- Web Design and Development: You can choose to design your website yourself, or outsource it to a professional. The cost of website design can range from ₦50,000 to ₦300,000, depending on the complexity of your website and the designer/developer’s experience.
- Content Creation: You can create content yourself but if you want to hire a content writer, your overall cost will go up.
How Bloggers Make money in Nigeria
- Advertising: You can display ads on your blog by joining programs like Google AdSense or by selling ad space directly to advertisers.
- Affiliate Marketing: Promote other people’s products and earn a commission for every sale you generate through your unique affiliate link.
- Sponsored Posts: When your traffic grows, Companies and brands may likely pay you to write a post about their products or services on your blog.
- Selling Digital Products: Create and sell your own digital products like eBooks, courses, trainings, or templates.
- Consulting or Coaching: If you have expertise in a particular niche, you can offer consulting or coaching services to your readers for a fee.
Best Blogging Platforms in Nigeria
There are many platforms you can use to build your blog and here are a few of them:
- WordPress (Recommended): It is free and you pay no monthly or annual fee except for domain registration and web hosting.
- Blogger (Not Recommended): It is free and owned by Google, not recommended except for a personal blog
- Wix: It is good for basic blogging but if you need advanced tools to grow your blog, it will attract a fee.
- Medium: It is free to start but some features will attract a fee.
Our Verdict: WordPress remains the best platform to start your blog, it is not ust free but has the needed features you need to start and become a successful blogger.
How To Start a Blog in Nigeria in 6 Key Steps:
Here is a step by step guide to starting a successful blog in Nigeria:
Select a niche
The most important step in starting your own blog is in selecting the right niche. Instead of writing on a given topic that interest you, rather you go niche and stick to it and apart from helping you to build an authority, it will also make your work easier. With the high competition in blogging, It’s important to decide on a niche to increase your chances of achieving success. Here are some profitable Nigerian blog niches and sub-niches:
- Health and Fitness: Weight loss, healthy eating, workout routines, mental health, etc.
- Technology: Gadgets, software, mobile apps, reviews.
- Fashion and Beauty: Makeup, skincare, fashion trends, style tips.
- Lifestyle: Travel, food, personal development, relationships.
- Education: Exam tips, career advice, student life.
- News and Politics: Local and international news, political analysis, opinions.
- Entertainment: Music, movies, TV shows, celebrity gossip.
Domain name and web hosting:
After selecting your niche, the next step is to buy a domain name and web hosting. A domain name is the address of your blog on the internet, while web hosting is the server that will store your blog’s files and makes it easily accessible online. Namecheap is a popular registrar that offers affordable and custom domain registration. For web hosting, it is important you choose a provider with fast hosting.
The recommended web hosting providers include: Namecheap, Interserver, Greengeeks, Dreamhost, Inmotion Hosting, Kinsta, Cloudways and Bluehost.
Related Blog Post: Best Affordable Web Hosting for Small Business
WordPress is the best platform for blogging, it comes with user-friendly features and gives you control over every aspect of your website including thousands of themes to help you build a profitable blog. Nearly all web hosting providers now offer one-click WordPress installation, or you can manually install it on your hosting account.
Add important pages:
There are important pages you should add to your blog, such as the homepage, About Us, Contact Us, and Blog page. The homepage is the first page your visitors see, this is your chance to make a first impression and should give them an idea of what your blog is about. Tell your story using the About Us page, this will allow your readers to trust and follow your blog. The Contact Us page is where you provide details to help your visitors reach you easily, and the Blog page should display your latest posts.
Create valuable posts that engages, educate and entertains your blog readers. Ensure your content is of high quality and must be relevant to and also answer the searcher’s query. Use a tool like Ahrefs to conduct keyword research and discover what your audience are searching for and publish content that solves their problems. Consistency is indispensable in blogging, it’s important you have a content creation schedule and stick to it.
Promote your blog:
Driving quality and consistent will allow people to discover your blog. There are various marketing strategies you can use to promote your blog, such as social media marketing, guest posting, email marketing, SEO, and paid advertising. Using different strategies will let you measure their effectiveness to find the ones that work best for your blog.
Related Article: Free and Paid Marketing Strategies To Drive to your Website
Starting a blog in Nigeria can be a highly rewarding experience, you have the opportunity to share ideas, knowledge and information on a given topic in order to educate, engage and entertain your audience, this can be highly fulfilling and help you to build an authority in your niche